Friday 12 July 2013

Where Bloggers Create 2013

Aaaargh what was I thinking!! I cannot show you my room. I need to clean, organize, repaint, redecorate and push the walls out till it looks like it does on my pinterest page!!

Last year when I found this fabulous event I went visiting and over the last 6 months I have popped in and out to check and I hope visit all the studios, big or small I love them all. They represent our creative dreams and what could be better than that.
My room of my own was created when a bedroom was freed up when the first of my two babies left home. It was once a bedroom but I am now not sure how a bed ever fit in here!
It is not big enough. A second storey would be a handy addition along with a great big sink and designer storage. The only option apart from a major building project is a tidy up and oops it is a lot bigger after a clean.




It is so tidy! It did not last more an hour but I am shocked at how big it is. It is a trestle that I bought from the Hardware store. the plastic top is not pretty but it cleans up really easily and I probably don't need a craft mat but I use one anyway.


My treasured Distress inks and home made spinning pen storage. there are no labels on anything . I change my mind all the time about where things should be and cannot commit to a permanent label - does that make me a commitment phobe??



This started off as a big ugly brown (sorry Mum) Wall unit. Featuring a cocktail cupboard in the middle. I put my ugly craft stuff in there. When Mum and Dad said goodbye I grabbed it and painted it, scuffed it and sanded the edges. The bookcase beside it is a cheap brown veneer wall unit that needed to blend into the background. I covered it with book pages.




I cover old shoe boxes with book pages and dressmaker pattern to create cheap storage. The purple book was a birthday gift from the Ellen Bee - I adore it! 

Vintage journals and mini albums I have made


Old loaf pan from the charity shop - I may add more rust. The dream journal is made from a book cover.


Old books and albums bought to alter but I cannot bring myself to touch them!!


More vintage style books made by me.


This is my mixed media spot. The little drawers were a present from my darling daughter Aleisha and were from Typo. They hold gelatos, Big brush pens and watercolour pencils. The cowgirl make up case was a charity shop find and holds some of my pens. (I have a stationery addiction as well!) The tin underneath is gorgeous and also from my favourite charity shop.


My treasure trinkets. These are art-i-cake and industrial chic charms from Michaels. As I live in New Zealand, going to Michaels is a dream of mine. My friend Ellen Bee hooked me up with these goodies. I cannot decide how to use them so they are all attached together on large safety pins until I get brave enough to stop hoarding them. I love looking at them and they are like a big fat delicious charm bracelet.

  

Another charity shop find. the dresser was an expensive buy at $8 (WooHoo) repainted it in matte white acrylic. I want to redo both painted pieces when I get my hands on some Milk Paint. the three tiered storage was created by my hubbie after I saw an image on pinterest. I used old cake tins from the charity shop (painted black till I decide which colour they will be) and threaded rod from the hardware store. Warning - Mine have a wobble on them as I overload them. I need to cut down the rod to make the gaps between smaller but they are in constant use as they are filled with all my paint and sprays. The mess underneath the drawers in intentional, that is my very expensive storage solution for big papers and card!!

  

These little shelves were originally made by my Father in Law for when his children were little. They have lived many lives until now they are painted white and store some of my treasures!


Some of my paper creations

I also have a large closet in this room. No, you cannot see inside. We have to be much better acquainted before I can show you that!! Definitely not appropriate for a first date! Maybe 2014!

Thank you for coming to visit. I hope you like my studio. I will admit as I type this it no longer looks like the photos. In the days since I have made several books and a number of atc's so there is creativity everywhere!

Many Thanks to Karen for hosting the tour and all the hard work she has put into it. If you would like to visit all the other divine spaces click here


Have fun 
xx Michelle 



28 comments:

  1. What a lovely space, your old books are wonderful, as are all your beautiful creations. I can see why you get inspired when your work there, it's so bright and cheerful! Thank you for the tour, I loved it xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Michelle,

    I hide all my mess behind close doors lol! Maybe one year I will share my mess. Your space is great! Thanks so much for the tour.

    ωίԵђ Լ♥ϋє ♥ Hεlεɳa ♥ мємσяу вσχ cяєαтισηѕ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle
    I wish! my craft area is where ever i can dump stuff in my lounge and kitchen area. Oh! to have a craft room.Looks fabulous and organised. takecare
    maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. What alovely place you have to sit an create in.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the drawer units on your workspace...nice to have supplies close at hand. I never thought about using loaf pans to display things in, and I love the covered shoeboxes.
    Thanks for the tour and the good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this is such a tidy studio! Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed seeing all of your storage and your books are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After all this time it is wonderful to finally see your craft studio! No wonder you want to spend 24/7 in it!!! Thanks for sharing and have a blast creating masterpeieces!! Big time hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Michelle! I love those neat, old books you've acquired. I wouldn't want to mess with them either. So cool... I can't wait to see more of your paper crafts now that I'm following... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful and neat space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a beautiful and neat space!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. a great space with some great creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great studio Michelle. Love what you have done with your room.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha Michelle, I completely understand about the closet! I didn't share mine this year (or last) but will consider it for next year's post: at this point it not only houses my scrapbook paper and gift wrapping supplies, but also coats, some ballgowns (I used to attend military formals with my now-retired-from-the-Army husband) and other odds and ends. There's always a work in progress like that going on in my home. Your books are wonderful- I haven't tried my hand at altering one yet, but I suppose inspiration has its own timing.

    Thank you for sharing your creative space!

    Michaele (Twigs and Tulle)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So neat Michele...New Zealand is a place I have always wanted to visit...You room is lovely but you need a bit of mess dear...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello! I love how you have repurposed so many items from the charity shop. Thank you for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey I see you've taken Mary Ann Moss's class! Love your space --and I love the post where you show what it usually looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to learn how to make the vintage journals! Do you teach classes? I'd love to take one from you! OR do you sell them? I have now joined you blog and can't wait for further posts!-xoxox-cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh.. Just BEAUTIFUL!!! Loved all the different, creative, ways you stored supplies!!... in a bread pan!.. a vintage makeup bag!!!.. etc., etc..! I've seen the cake tin idea on Pinterest, and would LOVE to try it, but I'm gonna do some painting first, then start making permanent decisions on what fits, what stays, what goes... Thanks for the tour! I really enjoyed my visit here, and hope you're enjoying your weekend! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, I am familiar with paper addiction.... I had to recently pare down some of paper. A painful process! :) Love your space! Hugs! http://connell-crafts.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Michelle. I love your studio, and your storage. I know what you mean about not wanting to actually use your old books! Thanks for letting us visit! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great space, Michelle! Love all your storage ideas. I can't say anyone one creative space I've seen is a favorite ~ I get a little something from everyone as inspiration. Last year I made changes the week after the blog party! I've already got a list going in my head to get started on for next year's party.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Michelle, I feel like a bit of a stalker...BUT I just love your work.your studio/work space is amazing...definitely puts my little corner in the living room to shame haha

    I love the book page covered shelves, I've considered doing this to a bookshelf I have for storage aswel...could well be an indoor project on a cold day -thanks for the tour, I now have some simple storage ideas.

    I'm a little addicted to collecting old books for recycling, and hate sorting them in a box in our garage...and with my daughter starting to create along with me a definitely need to work out a better space specifically fire out creativity.

    Thanks again for the tour, you have once again inspired me.
    Much love from Tai & Kahlia xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. A lovely little space ~ thank you for the tour ~ Here's hoping you were safe during the recent quakes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Michelle, I cheated and got here via NZStampers LOL, but I am getting through the list. Aha Aqua, yes, my one of the 4BFF ( Bevlea) has done her new room in Aqua and it is gorgeous. I love your storage ideas. Cake tins, that is fantastic, do they spin?? I understand about not using the books, I have some I cant bear to alter too. Thanks for tour of clean and in art in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just get you another work table and make it fit.

    hugs
    cindy@stitches

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome room Michelle! Adore that spice cabinet you have your brushes on... so my style! Love all the cabinets in fact; and had to laugh at your statement about how a bed ever fit in there - my daughter says the same thing when she comes to visit; my studio used to be her bedroom!

    Your art work is incredible - I love the vintage / antique creations you have made. Wow! Thank you for the tour; and I do hope we can peek into the closet in 2014 :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I recently discovered the Art a cake pieces too and just love them. I don't know what to do with them either except to enjoy looking at them. Thanks for sharing your creative space - it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete